Welcome to Jokers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Jokers

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

help me upgrade

Go down 
+16
F3st0
StabbyMcStabby
SK1NNY
crakhore69
Mozzie32
x-ume
Hairymofo
Union.Jack
ThePiedPiper
mpks
cranky
FlyHighNoob
c44u2
chookstrangler
lylow
Au_reefer
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

help me upgrade - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 12:28 pm

Well, Im all upgraded. The PC is built - with Chooky's Hardware Recommendations.

Ive had a little hiccup - I put the 2142 disk in the drive, and everything crapped itself. I couldnt open the drive, I couldnt hear all the guys on TS.

Windows Explorer wouldnt respond, so I restarted the PC. When it came back on, I still couldnt get the drive to respond. So I shut it all down again, and got the disk out, during the first switch on phase of the PC.

With the disk out, and Windows running, I got an error message " Windows Explorer isnt running, do you want to repair the fault?"

I did.... clicked YES.... and everything went BLACK. Black screen, black keyboard, black mouse. I waited 4 minutes, then restarted again manually.

When I got back on for the 4th time - I had all these wonderful messages for nearly every application. I couldnt open TS or any Windows apps - WMP and IE included (soliataire and freecell strangly were fine). The error message read "Could not start the application Gate windl32. not found in library"

Not that exact wording, but in words close to that. Anyway, I left it all to itself for 30 minutes, and had a beer and sulked. I came over here to the PC about 10 minutes ago, only to find the screen off, and the PC in hibernation. It wouldnt come OUT of hibernation howerver, so another restart was in order.

Amazingly - everything seems to be PERFECT right now. Ive just installed 2142, all ok. And Im typing this with the thought in mind that I may crash at any second.

My question is: Has any egg head ever heard of ANYTHING like that ^^^ ?

I am slightly overclocked from stock. 2.66Ghz is up to 2.79Ghz. But that was something my old mate did that was so small as to make no difference - - so he said.
Other than that, its a completely new PC, as of 4 hrs ago.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/lylow
cranky
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
cranky

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 12:32 pm

lol, no
Back to top Go down
chookstrangler
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
chookstrangler

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 1:01 pm

No, pretty weird! So your power supply and the DVD and HDD are the only hardware from the old PC? Did you install Windows 7 on to a clean drive? If your PSU isn't quite up to it power wise you can get some weird shit happening.
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Well I dont know what it was.... but touch wood - its over now.

I think its fixed itself. I really cant say what it was - unless when i asked it to fix windows explorer... it actually WAS in the process of fixing whatever glitch had occurred - and dumb cluck me killed the power. Rolling Eyes

Keep your fingers crossed for me Razz (And chooky - I got that 750W Corsair fella you suggested, so hopefully no under performance, or im hoppin in me van and comin to get ya Razz ) Just kiddin old mate. It didnt feel PSU related, as it happened when I had a disk in the drive, but nothing else working.
Back to top Go down
chookstrangler
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
chookstrangler

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 5:41 am

So tell us how your finding your new PC and Windows 7 now that it is working.
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 10:11 am

Gotta say... LOTS of teething problems. I can get BC2 to work, and not much else.

Sad 2142 doesnt work. Patches wont update. PC seems slow too. I load in slower into a round of BC2 than anyone else. Most players are on the ground and have run 100 metres down the hill before I can even join the round.

I hope it'll all come good. But Im just thinking - you spend $600 on a PS3 or an XBOX POS and it just works. Spend 4 times that much on a PC and you have to be superman to tweak and fiddle and coax and love the thing to a point that its useable.

All in all not a good changeover, and not a great start to the Win7 experience. Sad
Back to top Go down
cranky
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
cranky

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:10 am

i would have reinstalled again
Back to top Go down
x-ume
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
x-ume

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:21 am

yep....

Fresh install of win7
All the latest drivers
- motherboard
- video card
- audio
- etc

then install all of the crap
- software
- games
Back to top Go down
x-ume
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
x-ume

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 am

THEN GIVE IT TO CHOOKY!
Back to top Go down
Mozzie32
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
Mozzie32

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:26 am

lol
Back to top Go down
crakhore69
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
crakhore69

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:38 am

exactly what x-umey said.....reinstall(fresh on a reformatted drive)....update everything...drivers..windows...directx....the start on the games.
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Hell Lylow, I had less problems plugging an old harddisk with XP on it into a completely different PC and starting it up, just had to update drivers and the darn thing runs heaps of guff for my son. He's also got my dual core and 8800GTS in it now.

Did your mate do a fresh install from scratch on this system? Sounds like he tried to clone another system install onto this one and it all went to shite.

Hmmm, so what does chook charge again ....... maybe just some special cuddle time for you Lylow
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 2:24 pm

I dunno. I'll give it a go myself. Ever feel like drowning your sorrows?

Suffice to say , Im in no fit state to worry about installing anything right now. Drinking Together
Back to top Go down
Union.Jack
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
Union.Jack

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 6:19 am

Well I spoke to my mate lylow about your issues. He said either format your hdd and start again or put the disk in and do a repair. You got me worried when you said that your friend had to go hunting for where you register your cd key. It should be a straight walk through to get it installed.
Back to top Go down
x-ume
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
x-ume

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 am

Wait till your hangover goes away befor you start Lylow drunken
Back to top Go down
cranky
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
cranky

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 8:58 am

if you can't install windows you really do need some help. my mum is 62 and can install windows from scratch
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:00 am

Im gonna redo some shit tonight. I think I got over-eager to get it all going, and took some shortcuts.

Like these 2142 patch installs - they MUST be installed elsewhere on my other HDD's and ive never taken them off. My PC could be seeing them as already installed as it tries to re-install and consequently craps up.

I knew I should've gone through and deleted a whole heap of old things before I tried to get everything working anew. But I got impatient - and this is what I get for it.

If i have to re-install windows, I will. But ive got plenty to try first. Even just unplugging the other HDD's (which I dont even really need) and seeing if things come good off of the fresh 1Tb HDD thats just been installed.

Thanks for all your help guys. Even your helpful input cranky angry
I'll go bug chook one night if I havent gotten it all sorted in a week.

YOU HEAR ME OLD MAN? YOUVE GOT 5 DAYS THEN IM COMING A-KNOCKING! Razz
Back to top Go down
chookstrangler
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
chookstrangler

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:19 am

Anytime!
Back to top Go down
FlyHighNoob
FORUM USER

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Im sure Chooks can't wait for that, im sure he can sell his house in 3 days, rent somewhere in 1 and move his furniture on the last day = 5 days.

Chooks Q>Go go go!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mediamach.com
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 6:57 am

Ok well - good news. I didnt have to go through all that reinstalling business.

I disconnected my old HDD's altogether. Just pissed em off out of the system. And now everything is working.

The only thing I can think of is there are some files and folders that dont stand out as being system files, which arent letting me load things properly. Must be on the old HDD's somewhere.

Anyway - fingers crossed my worries are over. Only thing left to do is reinstall a heap of programs and hope the speed is still there.
Back to top Go down
x-ume
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
x-ume

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 7:08 am

Good to hear. So the x-box is on hold then?
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 7:11 am

For the time being old son Razz

The gaming's on hold too, for tonight at least. I'll be online tomorrow or very late tonight say 10pm +

Give the new girl a whirl after Ive given MY girl a whirl of a different kind Wink Giggle Dance
Back to top Go down
Union.Jack
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
Union.Jack

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 am

lylow wrote:

Give the new girl a whirl after Ive given MY girl a whirl of a different kind Wink Giggle Dance

Taking her to the fairground again?
Back to top Go down
Au_reefer
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
Au_reefer

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 am

no red light Rocker
Back to top Go down
Hairymofo
FORUM USER

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 am

Do any threads here resemble their original intent and purpose after 2 pages Grin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help me upgrade   help me upgrade - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

help me upgrade
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next