Welcome to Jokers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Jokers

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Software Recommendations

Go down 
+2
fastcraig
chookstrangler
6 posters
AuthorMessage
chookstrangler
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
chookstrangler

Software Recommendations Empty
PostSubject: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 4:10 am

In my never ending pursuit of better PC performance and productivity I do a lot of research and test a lot of programs. Here is my list of programs your PC should not be without. All programs are free unless otherwise stated.

System Utilites

IOBit Advanced SystemCare

Best general maintenance, cleanup, optimization software.

CCleaner

CCleaner does some additional cleaning that Advanced SystemCare misses.

Auslogics Disk Defrag

Disk fragmentation can really slow down a PC and cause lag in BF2142. Auslogics Disk Defrag is the only free defrager that can move system files to the faster tracks on the outside of your HDD. It is also very fast and can be set up to do this while your PC is idle.

Ultimate Defrag

If you want to get serious about fragmentation Ultimate Defrag is not free but does the best job.

NTREGOPT

After you have cleaned your registry and before you defragment your drive you should defragment your registry NTREGOPT does this simply and quickly and is Windows 7 x64 compatible. This is an important, and often overlooked step, in getting that fresh install feeling back.

IOBit Game booster

Game booster is for closing down unneeded programs and services during game play. This can seriously increase game performance and reduce lag.

***eBoostr***

An amazing program that can seriously increase the performance of your PC by using some of your RAM as cache. This decreases the time it takes to open applications and generally makes your PC feel snappier.

If you are using an SSD making a USB cache will actually slow down your PC. Just use a RAM cache with SSD's. If you have 4GB of RAM make a 2GB eBoostr cache. Give eBooostr a couple of days to work out which programs to cache.

If you try only one program in this list try eBoostr!

EVGA Precision

For over-clocking your video card and controlling its fan speed.

CPU-Z & CPU-ZGPU-Z

Are great for getting all details about your CPU and GPU.

TweakPrefetch 3.0.0.1

Utility for checking and setting you prefetch settings. These are very important performance settings.

Go to Tools-> Configuartion Wizard and select the options which apply to you, click Detect and Apply.

Filehippo Update Checker

Utility for keeping your installed programs up to date.

Drivermax

Drivers are also important to keep up to date. Drivermax is the best free one and it now does Windows 7 and 64 bit drivers.

Driver Sweeper

It is still advisable to clean old video and sound drivers from your PC after uninstalling them.

Hostsman

This program is like Adblock for Firefox but works for all browsers. It also blocks access to known malware sites.

SIW - System Information for Windows

Produces a HTML report of all hardware, software and OS details of your PC. Very handy for finding out stuff about your PC.

Graphics

FastStone Image Viewer

Do most things with images fast and easily.

Security

The best security software changes rapidly eg. Nortons has been a dog for years but the latest version makes it No. 1 again for paid protection. My pick because it is free and almost as good is Microsoft Security Essentials.

Malwarebytes should also be run monthly as a backup.

To make an informed decision of your own go to AV-Comparatives and read some of their independent tests of Anti-Virus Software reports. They are the authority on this and have thoroughly tested and rated most security solutions.

The best protection is not to use torrents and be careful what you click on-line or in your email. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

!Windows 7 Guide

Please post comments if you find any of this software good or use something better!

Watch this space! More to come

Last edited by chookstrangler on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fastcraig
FORUM USER
fastcraig

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 6:24 am

I am currently running Vista Ultimate, is it worth upgrading to 7????
Back to top Go down
chookstrangler
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
chookstrangler

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:15 am

If you don't need all the extras you get in Ultimate, and I don't think you would, then you can get Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM for $119. Since the last service pack I don't think Vista is too much behind. It is recommended that you do a clean install so if you have the funds and the time and inclination to upgrade then yes I would. It would also be a perfect time to switch to an SSD.
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 3:50 pm

lol! I just ran IOBit Advanced System Care (my XP install is VERY old and needs a clean up but I am not going to go through the pain of reinstalling).

With the following information I simply must pay for the upgrade mustn't I Grin

I hope nothing broke with the hundreds and hundreds of changes it just made Suspect

Software Recommendations Advanc10
Back to top Go down
chookstrangler
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
chookstrangler

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 1:20 am

They added that in the latest version and it makes them look so cheap. You won't get those claimed speed increases. I have bought mine but it is totally optional.
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 5:52 am

Things seem to be starting a bit faster and I know not to trust those %'s.
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:45 am

I disagree with your findings, and recommend you use MY PC improver.

(I think personally, that it has more realistic ways of improving your PC.)

I ran a test remotely on your system C4, and it came up with these recommendations:

Software Recommendations Advanc11

Now I ask you - Who are you to disagree?
Back to top Go down
http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/lylow
FlyHighNoob
FORUM USER

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 8:31 am

lylow wrote:
I disagree with your findings, and recommend you use MY PC improver.

(I think personally, that it has more realistic ways of improving your PC.)

I ran a test remotely on your system C4, and it came up with these recommendations:

Software Recommendations Advanc11

Now I ask you - Who are you to disagree?

Lmao.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mediamach.com
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 8:57 am

Lylow, my old 68cm TV in the family room just died this afternoon (bloody hot weather). Do you think the above instructions will repair that as well???
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Oh god yeah. Just make sure you're behind the tube as you blow it. They can go off with a bang Neutral

And dont breathe in any of the dust. Phosphorous inner coating of the tube, along with all the other chemicals - its carcinogenic so they say. I Dunno??? I wouldnt tempt fate tho, lol.

Better yet: http://www.telefixqld.com.au/ I'll get ya a good deal Razz
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:26 am

Lylow, Do you boys handle my neck of the woods? You know where I am.

I've also got an LG DVD/VCR/Surround Sound system with a power issue.

Do you guys handle all such stuff then?
Back to top Go down
Au_reefer
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
Au_reefer

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:30 am

no lylow only handles himself lmao
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:00 pm

c44u2 wrote:
Lylow, Do you boys handle my neck of the woods? You know where I am.

I've also got an LG DVD/VCR/Surround Sound system with a power issue.

Do you guys handle all such stuff then?

Yeah mate. God help me, there's no where we dont go to.

I'll PM ya Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Software Recommendations   Software Recommendations I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Software Recommendations
Page 1 of 1