Welcome to Jokers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Jokers

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Easy Car Help for the newbie

Go down 
+4
Au_reefer
lylow
x-ume
MidnightBeast
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

Easy Car Help for the newbie Empty
PostSubject: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 am

Hey guys,
I couldn't find it on the net and didn't want to pay a fortune for a mechanic to do it, so I thought I'd ask here.

How do I replace the bulb in my Holden VY Ute's rear right indicator? I washed my car and shorted the bulb. Or globe as aussie's say.
Back to top Go down
x-ume
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
x-ume

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:08 am

Just do what we do and tape a flashlight to the side of the car and wire it up
through the window.

Dont get the wires tangled up in the coathanger arial though. You dont
want to have to re-bend it into the shape of Australia again.

Easy fix Winking
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:35 am

There will be experts here somewhere mate that can give exact details on your particular ute, but simplest way to describe it (for me at least) is this:

There must be a way to get access to the brakelight/indicator light/reversing light assembly on your ute. Maybe jump in the back tray and see if there are any screws that line up with the plastic cover of the lights. Maybe those screws will be hidden by some panelling - thats the specific part about your VY that I dont know.

Undo those screws when you find them.

This will either let you have access to the back of the bulb straight away, or it'll let you remove the entire housing away from the vehicle and then get access to the back of the bulb once youve pulled it all out. (If its a removable housing, there may be a couple of wires to disconnect first. Just check the type of clip and disconnect it accordingly - pushing on a bit of plastic or wriggling it loose etc).

Remove the light bulb. (Thats the easy bit. Most of them are just bayonet connectors, like your average incandescent light bulb in your toilet, but smaller. Razz )

Read what the wattage and voltages are, eg: 6V 21W (all written on the stem of the bulb, not on the glass like a regular bulb) - and head down to SuperCheap. Even better, suss this stuff out at home first, but do all the actual changing over AT SuperCheap/Repco/Autobarn, that way if something isnt right, they can even give you a hand. If its not bright enough, or doesnt want to fit in, or youre not sure about the wattage etc etc - talk to them mate.

I talk from experience. My fucking work van blows a different tail light every second week. If something is wrong when you buy/install, people at the store are usually sensible enough to give you a hand.

And thats pretty much it son! Let us know how you get on. And good luck Middy mate!

Last edited by lylow on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/lylow
x-ume
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
x-ume

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 10:58 am

I liked the torch idea better.

Lylow's right for once though. The guys down at autobarn, supercheap auto
etc should beable to do it for you.

If all else fails check out your owners manual...it should have info in there.
Back to top Go down
Au_reefer
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
Au_reefer

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 11:21 am

Buy a Ford Ute

Simple Fix!!! Grin
Back to top Go down
Union.Jack
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
Union.Jack

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 11:27 am

Take a hammer, smash the light cover, pull the bulb out on put the new one in.

Then take some clear tape and put that over the hole in the light cover. Get a yellow niko pen and colour the tape in.

Just like all the other bogan ute drivers Smile
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 11:27 am

lmao Jack! lmao Im seriously picturing that and laughing my head off! lmao lol

And as for THIS clever comment:
Au_reefer wrote:
Buy a Ford Ute

Simple Fix!!! Grin

Then pull that Ford ute apart, piece by piece, throwing out everything until you reach the right rear indicator bulb.
Take the bulb.
Use the bulb.
BURN the rest.
With something radioactive.

That way 1) No one will try to use it for a few millennium, and 2) If they do, they'll get the ending they deserve.... what with it being a Ford and all.

Great suggestion Reefer mate! Hi Five! Thats Tops!
Back to top Go down
AUS-Jailbird
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
AUS-Jailbird

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Fuck me Lylow for a car newbie you gave a pretty good description on how to change a tailight globe right there, and Middy you shouldnt have to ask. Have a go yourself first mate! (No offence intended). Look at that shit work it out in your head and go for it! You cant really fuck much up when it comes to removing a tailight and replacing a bulb.
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 5:06 pm

Question: How many crazy Radelaide'ians does it take to change a tail lightbulb?

Answer: None.

Why? Flawed question. All the nutty bastards living in Adelaide are so backwards, that they all get around on these:

Easy Car Help for the newbie PennyFarthing

Infact I think thats Birdy sporting the top and tails right there? Smile
Back to top Go down
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 1:22 am

Thanks guys. Well I found a solution by hitting the indicator, it came back on.

However, my friend was being a dickhead tailgating me yesterday and then I had to do an emergency break to avoid a car with no headlights and he slammed into the back of me.

Can't pay for this one and I'm only third-party insured..
Back to top Go down
AUS-Jailbird
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
AUS-Jailbird

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 2:10 am

Is your friend insured?
Back to top Go down
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 2:17 am

I believe so. If he doesn't claim it, I'll kick up a big fuss until he pays me cash. We'll see Grin
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 2:46 am

MidnightBeast wrote:
Thanks guys. Well I found a solution by hitting the indicator, it came back on.

Yep, they tend to do that. Then they go off, then come back on, then go off, then on, then off.....

lmao had to comment.

So how bad was the whack? Its not up to you to pay for your mates fuck ups Middy. If he's a real "mate" he'd fix you up... even if it meant going to his insurer and maybe taking a hit on his premium next year.

Hope your $2000 special is still ok. But if he rear ended you, Im guessing he's copped the worst of the damage.
Back to top Go down
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 3:16 am

Easy Car Help for the newbie 417127_259529387457154_100002002856532_610323_1703476524_n

Not too bad, just annoying. It's cracked the other side rear bar too, and scratched/dented the top of the right wheel arch although you can't really see that in this photo.

His car got a pretty hefty dent, but he has an identical dent on the other side so now his car is just symmetrical Grin
Back to top Go down
AUS-Jailbird
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
AUS-Jailbird

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 5:24 am

Mate if he has insurance just claim it and he will have to pay his excess, you shouldnt have to put up with a damaged car regardless if he is a mate or not.
Back to top Go down
Au_reefer
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
Au_reefer

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 5:41 am

then you friend should fix it.....

man don't fuck around in cars hey, cost too much
Back to top Go down
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Au_reefer wrote:
man don't fuck around in cars hey, cost too much

I know right, went and picked up a replacement FRONT skirt to replace the shitty scratched destroyed one that came on the ute, replaced it for only $50 brand new (bargain), then scratched all the paint off the left side of the ute on the way home on a concrete pillar in a car park. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy! one step forward, two steps back.
Back to top Go down
Mephisto
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
Mephisto

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 am

I liked your old avatar much better middy
Back to top Go down
Spleen
FORUM USER
Spleen

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 4:53 am

Mephisto wrote:
I liked your old avatar much better middy

^+1
Back to top Go down
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 5:41 am

Whatcha chatting about? Grin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easy Car Help for the newbie   Easy Car Help for the newbie I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Easy Car Help for the newbie
Page 1 of 1