Welcome to Jokers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Jokers

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)

Go down 
+13
Fullnutta
Gaddo
Mephisto
Mozzie32
livewildcard
Lucky
Union.Jack
StabbyMcStabby
lylow
cranky
Bubba
mooshoo
MidnightBeast
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) Empty
PostSubject: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:02 am

Hey guys,

Mum's lending me around $10,000 for a first car, preferably rather new (within the last few years) and was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions, seeing as I always see random car threads on here.

I'm looking for something reliable and rather fuel economical without looking like a hairdressers car Razz

My friend recommends a newer lancer.
Back to top Go down
mooshoo
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
mooshoo

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:14 am

Gaddo might be your man for this .. Personally I like fast cars .. Realistically I can afford something good on gas easy to get parts for etc .. Most the young guys here have Subaru or Skylines, silvia, evo's etc and mate they are always broke from smashing their pay on gas tyres gear boxes etc.

Back to top Go down
Bubba
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
Bubba

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:15 am

talk to nutta, he's a mechanic should be able to point you in the right direction
Back to top Go down
cranky
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
cranky

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:15 am

fuel economical without looking like a hairdressers car go together.
Back to top Go down
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 10:18 am

thats why im trying to strike a balance cranky Razz

and thanks guys, hopefully he'll see this thread Grin
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 pm

I drive a lancer man! I know mephisto union and lucky wil probably tell you i keep it like an old mans car (and cracka wont say. Thing because his is even worse than mine Razz )

My first car was a nissan pulsar for 10k and this lancer cost about $12k. So far its been great on fuel got lots of power under the hood and its sporty enough that I look like a fat man in a sports car, rather than just a fat man in a car...

Lol good luck with the hunting man!
Back to top Go down
http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/lylow
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 1:51 pm

I like the sound of that lylow! How old was the lancer when you bought it?
Back to top Go down
StabbyMcStabby
FORUM USER
StabbyMcStabby

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 3:30 pm

I've still got my first car, it's a Mitsubishi Verada. Never going to sell it. It's too good.

It's a 3.5L V6 outputting 155kW and I think 315NM so it has plenty of power and torque. It's not bad on fuel either; I average around 12L/100kM. The only problem is it's fail-wheel drive and it handles like a bus, but it's awesome and it's classy as fuck too.

Cost me around $15,000 when I bought it back in 2008. It's an '02 model (KJ series) and had about 75,000kM on the clock. I imagine you could pick one up in pretty good condition for under $10,000 these days.

First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) Verada1
First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) Verada2
First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) Verada3
Back to top Go down
Union.Jack
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
Union.Jack

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 11:52 pm

lylow wrote:
I drive a lancer man! I know mephisto union and lucky wil probably tell you i keep it like an old mans car (and cracka wont say. Thing because his is even worse than mine Razz )

It's the blanket in the backseat that gives it away.....
Back to top Go down
Lucky
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
Lucky

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 12:22 am

So true..
Back to top Go down
livewildcard
FORUM USER
livewildcard

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 12:42 am

My first car I bought with my own hard earned cash was a 1983 Wheels Car of The Year Ford Telstar I paid a whopping $700 for. I had that thing when I first got my licence for about a year. Never had a single drama with it. It was blue. Had blue velvety carpet, seats, roof lining (i.e it was blue!). I got rid of that once I landed the job I am at now (thats about 7 years ago now) and bought a 2003 (near new at the time) 25th Anniversary Holden Commodore VY. Now I've got a VE ute.

Moral of the story. Cars come and go, man they are something to sink the wallet into.

My advice. Keep the $10k. Buy yourself something cheap to run around in. Yes its hard to pick the ladies up and for a young lad it could be hard. Or try for $5k and put the other $5k in a house deposit fund or something. Once you get a few houses under your belt, use the equity to buy car of your dream.

Cars, in general, lose value to fast and you get nothing for your money in 5 years time.

Unless of course its your first root car. Then you must hang onto that thing like there is no tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/livewildcard1?feature=mhee
mooshoo
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
mooshoo

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 1:30 am

Every car is a root car .. alcohol is the key to unlock the bush monster (hopefully shaved - But I'm not fussy) Smile

Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 8:52 am

Lol you nuttas. Good advice but your all fuckin mental. JKS is the place for you!

Middy, I got the car in '09, it was a late '04 model... almost an '05 but not quite so it was that little bit cheaper again.

It would have been even cheaper but it had low km's on it (30,000) and whoever had it before me had done up the sound system (dual 13" woofers completely filling the boot, lol) and added a rear spoiler and rims (dodgy as it sounds for 13" tyres) so the price went up a bit.

And I just realised... my subs are the same size as me wheels! Wicked. Lol

What Live says though does make sense mate. I fucked my first car and got $500 back for it at the wreckers after spending $9,000 on it just 3 years before that. Odds are mate, as a young driver something will go tits up. So the less you spend now, the less youve got to lose if you reverse into old Mrs O'sullivans letter box or worse.

Good luck mate. Fuel economy is king, unless the job youve got pays you more than it should, lol. My old Pulsar could get 750 kms to a tank, the Lancer only about 675 km's or so. Find something good on fuel and its 3/4 of the battle.
Back to top Go down
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:03 am

Back to top Go down
livewildcard
FORUM USER
livewildcard

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:32 am

Looks ok and kept in good shape.

I'd check service log books pretty sure they have a major service around 180/190k so be up for some coin around that time.

If indeed its really been fully serviced should hopefully give you some trouble free motoring.

Pretty sure the earlier ones had a few ECU issues that hopefully had been fixed during this "service history" and the auto transmissions on those can be a bit of an issue.

But like any car/manufacturer etc etc it comes down to how its been treated, looked after.

Check the log books, look for the recent work, take a drive, look for leaks, unusual squeals etc etc and all the fun stuff
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 9:36 am

Bigger car mate... 6 cylinders... I dont care what anyone says about fuel economy, 6 will always chew through fuel that little bit faster than 4. More power sure, but on your P plates you guys in NSW are capped at like 90km's an hr anyway arent you? Cant really use all the boom that its got.

Have you thought about the dumb uninportant stuff: Room in the garage for another large family sized sedan? Leaving it outside because its too big for the shed will turn

THIS First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) Cp4813886318855114349 INTO THIS First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBifSJgEMIVucr8cpmedZcAc8y7xmFjn1kv2VpyImDjkpbDBFIdQ way too quickly.

Also Rego is going to be more $$$$$. And so will insurance...

Other than that - looking at the vehicle it looks well maintained (from what a picture can reveal). 11 months rego is good too, puts off the $$$ for as long as possible. All the extras are there: nice rims, tow bar, sound system and tinted windows - nothing beats tinting to keep out the western NSW heat waves lol.

If it ticks all the boxes mate, and you love the look of it, then I'd say take it to the next step for sure. Not a bad price even if it is getting on for 10 years old. Just watch out though. Even if 165,000 km's isnt crazy high, it will have had some use in its life. As Live says, look for anything that might be showing signs of wear and tear. Belts whining, steering pulling etc. At that age you dont know whether its 6 months away from blowing out into even more $$$$$ for repairs. Maybe budget in another $500-$800 for extended warranty on the vehicle? Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
MidnightBeast
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
MidnightBeast

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks guys, much needed and helpful advice.
Didn't consider the service books, well worth a look for sure.
Yeah 90 kph in NSW (not that I do that anyway), but I don't know about Canberra (I'm moving in a few weeks).

Yeah I don't know if I'll have a garage at my next place but regardless, Mum's car is this:
First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) Mercedesgl430-sideshot

So might struggle there..

I love these types of cars but it sure is a lot to consider. I think I'll hold out until I see a killer deal, which is quite likely seeing as everyone around here drives an XR6 or SV6..
Back to top Go down
StabbyMcStabby
FORUM USER
StabbyMcStabby

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 10:43 am

MidnightBeast wrote:
seeing as everyone around here drives an XR6 or SV6..
The SV6 clearly being far superior.
Back to top Go down
Union.Jack
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
Union.Jack

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 11:32 am

This was the first car I ever owned.

First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) 350z11

Then, after realising a 3.5ltr V6 wasn't exactly fuel economic to drive in solid traffic all day I sold it and bought this

First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) Bmw211

Then I sold that to move to Australia. The 350 was a fantastic car to drive but it sent me broke trying to pay for fuel. My advice would be buy a cheap small car until you are off your p's.
Save the money to buy a decent car once your off them.

It will also give you a chance to learn how to drive a car without worrying about the car your driving. You'd cry if you bought a decent car and you put it into a tree 3 weeks after passing your test.
Back to top Go down
StabbyMcStabby
FORUM USER
StabbyMcStabby

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:07 pm

Union.Jack wrote:
It will also give you a chance to learn how to drive a car without worrying about the car your driving. You'd cry if you bought a decent car and you put it into a tree 3 weeks after passing your test.
Reasonable logic. However, I have noticed that it's usually the people who drive shit cars they obviously don't care about that do the more risky and more stupid shit.

Don't buy a car that you'll feel totally complacent in. Find a balance where you wont have spent a huge amount of cash, but you'll still have a car that you'll want to keep and look after and you'll be more cautious. That way, if you don't look after it and fuck it up, then it will still be a valuable (and hopefully not too expensive) lesson.

Go to some used car dealers, test drive some cars and buy the one you like the most.
Back to top Go down
Mozzie32
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
Mozzie32

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 7:14 am

hey middy, im no mechanic or anything, but im closer to your age than these old cunts, and have been through it in the last few years.

i started off with an old piece of shit 4 cylinder car on gas witch was OK except it was to unreliable.

then i braught a 2003 falcon ute, which i have now, i drive a lot to get to work each day so fuel economy is important. mines a manual and a get about 550 km before it starts telling me i need to fill up.

it all depends in
what you are going to do for work? (for instance i need a Ute or a van to carry tools)
how far you need to travel? (if you travel a lot, fuel economy and reliability is more important)
how much you will be earning? (there is no point buying a nice car if you cant pay the insurance services fuel etc)
can you drive manual? (big advantage if you can get a manual as you can drive it nicer for fuel, if your putting along at 60kmh just slap it in 5th and save cash)

also man cars cost a lot after you buy them (something i didn't understand when i brought mine)

for instance for my falcon Ute, which has i think the same engine as the xr6 you were looking at:

fuel: $90 - 100 p/w

insurance: first year driving $3000 - seccond year $2200

services: allow at least $2000 a year

rego: $550 a year

parking (might not apply to you): $70 p/w

basikly what im trying to get at is make sure you can afford the ongoing expenses,
i didn't and mine takes more than half my wage each week.

also remember you gotta pay mummy back.

etc?
Back to top Go down
Mephisto
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
Mephisto

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:06 pm

i got the new Lancer 2010 VRX .. I love that car man ! but they are +$38 K so yeah ... the lower variants are still alright !

but i wouldn't buy anything under 2008 where they changed tthe body shape mate ...

you can have my old car for free if you come pick it up !

its done 427,000 km and the windows don't work also the doors on the right hand side don't work .... ummmm

i think it will be better to say what works ! it drives good ! ummm and it starts most of the time when you jiggle the keys and move the shifter at the same time!!

lol bro you got 10 grand

buy a postie bike for 200 and spend the other $9800 on making a meth lab or growing weed !!!! you will be able to buy a pimped out ride real soon !

but seriously what muz said you need to put a lot of thought into what you want the car for !!! if you want to look good ! buy some fake tits !

its a depreciating asset !!!

i drove around in a turd on wheels for 10 years mate ! now i feel i have deserved a good ride !

also chicks DIG bikes man and they are cheap as fuck to run !

Back to top Go down
livewildcard
FORUM USER
livewildcard

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Ill run a new service. Give me the $10k. I'll get you laid, which after all is what the end result is what we want Smile, and I keep the rest. You probably wont end up with a car out of it but hey, shit happens.
Back to top Go down
Mephisto
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
Mephisto

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:21 pm

LMFAO !
Back to top Go down
mooshoo
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
mooshoo

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 1:36 pm

livewildcard wrote:
Ill run a new service. Give me the $10k. I'll get you laid, which after all is what the end result is what we want Smile, and I keep the rest. You probably wont end up with a car out of it but hey, shit happens.

I think he was hoping for a woman Live LOL have you cleared it with Gaddo?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)   First car (budget around $10,000 give or take) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First car (budget around $10,000 give or take)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next