Welcome to Jokers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Jokers

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system

Go down 
+4
Fullnutta
cranky
x-ume
c44u2
8 posters
AuthorMessage
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system Empty
PostSubject: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Well I'm getting sick of slow load time and long reboot times when games lock up.

Anyone know if the following is possible or how to go about it?

I'm thinking of getting an SSD and Windows7 just to have a lean and clean install that is only EVER used for gaming. I want to leave the current Windows XP disk for the wife to normally boot off and do her email and guff.

Anyone know how you can set things up to default to the XP boot disk but get a timed out option of selecting an alternate disk (the nice clean fast SSD) to boot off for gaming fun time?
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 7:04 am

Okay, this guide may have my answer

Beginners Guides: Dual OS Installation of WindowsXP 32-bit/64-bit
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1910

I might just do a dual install of my 32bit XP OS but the new one on the SSD will be minimalist and clean and kept just be my use with games so the wifes guff stays with the old tired slow XP install.

Just need to select a 120G SSD and see what diff it all makes with both OS installs still on the same system.

Anyone know the low down on the best bang for buck 120G SSD?
Back to top Go down
x-ume
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
x-ume

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 7:40 am

Most 120G ssd's are around the $250 mark.

285MB/s read, 275MB/s write

or

for $375 get one of these

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_902_903_1147&products_id=14966

540MB/s read, 480MB/s write.

review...sorry the review is for the 700MB/s read&write but over $700

Last edited by x-ume on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cranky
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
cranky

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 12:52 pm

as long as xp is in the system it is easy to install win 7. but the other way around is a nightmare. win 7 is a dream to use compared to xp.
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Cheers guys, I might just order one of the following some time. Reinstall a lean and mean XP OS and maybe later change that to a Windows7 OS install. Then when i do get around to building a new system some time I can just move this disk into that.

Corsair Force Series 120GB SSD2.5 MLC SSD, 285/275MB/Sec, SATA II, SandForce controller
Back to top Go down
Fullnutta
FORUM USER
Fullnutta

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 5:31 am

you should really try out win7 youll never look back its sooooooooooooooo goooooooooood
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 6:10 am

Yeah, I've got Win7 on my i7 laptop and it is good. But to keep things simple I'll do a quick XP install first. I might order the SSD tonight, I'll see if I order Win7 at the same time Wink
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:22 am

May as well order Win7 tonight as well.
Is Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit much more of a problem to install than 32bit?
What do most folks have installed?
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:28 am

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit is what I use mate.

And hell, if I can figure it out - then any noob can do it Wink
Back to top Go down
http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/lylow
LeRawn
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
LeRawn

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 8:36 am

It's easy as pie mate, exactly the same as installing any Windows OS.

Good luck and have fun!
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 10:48 am

Cheers guys, figuerd the install would be easy enough and just wanted to make sure there were no funky issues will games setup. But Lylow has given me great confidence that all wil be okay (since he can use it with no probs)
Back to top Go down
Mephisto
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
Mephisto

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 12:52 pm

i just brought a corsair 120 gb ssd... runs like a dream mate you will enjoy the difference ! good luck
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Cool cheers for that Meph
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Damn, umart sent me an email two days ago to say my order is ready. But I suspect it will get water cooled at their Milton office tonight when the floods from the Brisbane river hit their peak. The flood maps show their office site being nice and wet from the likely high mark of the flood ...
Back to top Go down
c44u2
FORUM USER
c44u2

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 pm

XP - 2 year old (at least) 32bit OS install with a lot of crap that starts on startup and I have not worked out how to stop it. Running of a standard drive.

Win7SSD - new clean install of Win7 64bit on a 120Gig SSD (no extra fluff, only install stuff I need to play BF2142 and BC2)

OS Boot time
XP = 3min 15sec Win7SSD = 25sec

BC2 Game Startup time
XP = 1min 17sec Win7SSD = 5sec

Back to top Go down
Union.Jack
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
Union.Jack

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 11:16 pm

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system   SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SSD and multiple OS disks in a single system
Page 1 of 1