Welcome to Jokers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Jokers

HomeHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CPU cooler on a budget

Go down 
+3
Bubba
Au_reefer
Spleen
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Spleen
FORUM USER
Spleen

CPU cooler on a budget Empty
PostSubject: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 2:02 am

So I've finally got around to replacing the majority of my components leaving me
with a unlocked ivy i5 @ 3.4GHz, which I want to OC to 4.0GHz and now I need
a cooler that can take it.

So I though I would come on here and see if there is any heat syncs that you guys
would recommend. Ideally I would like it to remain as a large heat sync and not a pre-
built water cooler just because my air cooling is superb.

The budget is 101 AUD or 130 NZD

If anyone does want to search NZ sites for their recommended item then here is a
list of the best sites/retailers:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/default.asp
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/
http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0137773/home.html

Cheers for reading, -Spleen-
Back to top Go down
Au_reefer
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
Au_reefer

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 6:06 am

Back to top Go down
Bubba
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
Bubba

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 6:25 am

Noctua NHD14

i have this cooler.

Its amazing, im overclocked to 4.2 and never have heat issues, but saying that this thing is huge!

you need to make sure the heatsinks around your CPU on your motherboard dont stick up to much and also make sure your ram isnt massive

with huge fins etc...

or it simply wont fit.

i will post a pic of mine and you can see how much of the case this takes up
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 am

Lol, if Bubba doesnt have the answer, Zoomie will know! Haha. Im gonna change this whole Tech Talk section of the forums to "Dear Zoomie"..... Razz

But Im no help though mate. All I'll say is that even though you're only looking into air cooling - ie: heat sinks etc, I actually switched to water cooling for this build as well, (on Zoomies advice) and its been one of the easiest things in the world to have.

I game hard, (eg BF3 on high settings), flog the guts out of my CPU and it never gets above 65°. Admittedly it hasnt done a full summer of gaming yet but even so - Im in love with it.

I think mine came in at less than $100 AUD as well.... but again, just passing on my personal preference. Im sure a whopping metal mother strapped to your CPU will kick ass too! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/lylow
Bubba
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
Bubba

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 6:37 am

CPU cooler on a budget Img_0410
Back to top Go down
Spleen
FORUM USER
Spleen

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 6:41 am

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=15250
I found one that I might get. Its only $10 over my budget. That heat sync looks impressive bubba but unfortunately its $80 over my budget atm.

What cooler do you have lylow?
Back to top Go down
Spleen
FORUM USER
Spleen

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 6:42 am

wow thats hugeee, My ripjaw have a heat sync on them but they should not protrude too much
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 6:54 am

Spleen wrote:
What cooler do you have lylow?
Yep... Suspect Ummm........ 7??? I Dunno???

No, no I got it: its the "T1000"!... oh no wait, that was the terminator that Arny played.

You KNOW Im useless at numbers and models and shit. Razz

"Zoomie will know". This is my mantra. Very Zen of me, I think. Hugs Ohhhhhhmmmmmm Hugs

Oh and after all the bullshit, it turns out that
1) I was wrong: My cooler wasnt $100, it was $160, so my apologies, but its probably over budget mate.
And 2): Its one of these little beauties: Corsair Hydro Series H100 CPU Cooler
Back to top Go down
noncombat
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 7:51 am

but why?
Back to top Go down
Spleen
FORUM USER
Spleen

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 8:29 am

Yeh thought so... is nice, but did you overclock or what is your cpu clock speed?
Back to top Go down
cranky
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
cranky

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 5:11 pm

this can do what you want COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 EVO $39, i was going to get one before i modded my old one to fit my mb.
Back to top Go down
x-ume
JOKERS CLAN ADMIN
x-ume

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Rolling Eyes Lylow has the corsair h100 but one bubba has will do a similar job.

Just remember that ivy bridge runs a tad hotter than other chips when o/ced.
Back to top Go down
Spleen
FORUM USER
Spleen

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 3:57 am

so what I should wc it?
Back to top Go down
cranky
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
cranky

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 3:57 am

i still stand by my selection, the ivybridge uses less watts and input current for overclocking so the coolermaster should work better.
Back to top Go down
Spleen
FORUM USER
Spleen

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 8:41 am

So I finally decided to cash all my chips in and just installed my new H80 water cooling kit. Went to go put the backplate on the mobo and found the chassis cutout was too small.... Nek Minnite, out came pliers Grin trying to find the right alignment of the plate itself was a bitch of a job because I had to readjust 50 fuckn times but I eventually got there.... Installed it with mm to spare between my gcard and the radiator

Now, what are good temp reading programs? Razz
Back to top Go down
cranky
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
cranky

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 am

coretemp
Back to top Go down
Bubba
JOKERS CLAN MEMBER
Bubba

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 10:03 am

HWMonitor
Back to top Go down
lylow
JOKERS CLAN FOUNDER
lylow

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 11:09 am

A fucking thermometer!

Where you choose to insert it, is your business. *COUGH* Anal *COUGH*

Smile
Back to top Go down
Spleen
FORUM USER
Spleen

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:08 pm

You can insert programs into your ass lylow? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Spleen
FORUM USER
Spleen

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 7:44 am

Tested and satisfied with my new H80. Really keeps it cool in game Grin But now I ask of efficient fan placement.... I put my two 120,s facing one another. so its pulling air int from the outside and its pulling air from inside the case... Is that good? or should I have them both pulling air in?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CPU cooler on a budget   CPU cooler on a budget I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CPU cooler on a budget
Page 1 of 1